The ankle roll
The ankles, if restricted in movement can be the cause of many more serious injuries as limited movement in the ankles can cause a lot of other compensating fatigue injuries on other areas.
The ankle roll is a very simple exercise that works the ankle joint through its range of movement and strengthens the supporting muscles while maintaining flexibility.
- Sit on the floor with your back against a wall perpendicular to the floor.
- Your legs should be out in front approximately shoulder distance apart.
- Extend your ankles fully so that your toes are pointing as straight inward and forward as possible without causing pain.
- Slowly rotate your left foot anti- clockwise and your right foot clockwise (mirror image of each other) until a full circle is completed. This should take the time of a slow exhalation.
- Take a deep breath and repeat this five times.
- Repeat the above in the reverse direction.